Coyotes threatening my poor chickies!!!! HELP >:o

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kjpuggles3, Oct 24, 2011.

1. kjpuggles3

kjpuggles3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    I am new chicken lover and am looking forward to my first batch of excellent laying, cold-hardy chickens (mixed variety). I have them a cozy coop attached to my barn which i plan to house them but am worried due to numerous coyoties, wolves, foxes, and other creatures who roam the area! Please help me! I would rather not buy a fancy security system, and my chickens are free range, but I not sure how to protect them once they are ready to move into the coop! If it helps, i am getting several dogs (rhodesian ridgebacks- originally trained to hunt lions, pugs-awwww!, and labradors- very loyal) which will be raised with the chickens as puppies and chicks so they are used to and grow fond of one another. Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

2. kjpuggles3

kjpuggles3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    Please please reply! I just need some clever tricks to keep out predators. Is there a cheap alarm system that will scare them away and not wake us up (flood lights??) or a smelly somthing i can use to deter carnivores? PLEASE REPLY thanks!

3. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    You've answered your own question. Dogs. I just got one myself. No casualties so far.

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    If you free range you have an extremely good chance of losing chickens. It is a definite thing, really.

The BEST things you can do to protect your chickens is to have a safe, predator proof coop to lock them up in every night, and a safe run. A great run is enclosed completely, even on top, with thick wire.

5. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

6. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Labs are super smart, and very sweet. RR's don't take any *&$%R from anyone. Pugs, well, they do a great job keeping the couch warm. My new puppy (a Decker Rat Terrier) was bred to rip foxes in half. It's too bad it had to come to this, but he's my new best friend now. Another thing I did was fence in the driveway area (about an acre) with 2X4 wire. The girls are smart enough to know that if they jump over it they may never come back. I suppose you can add that to chicken math.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Just be sure your new dogs don't become predators of your chickens.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Just be sure your new dogs don't become predators of your chickens.

9. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    Just make sure to have a rifle ready 22 min up to 7.62 x 39

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Another thought - electric fencing around your coop. It's not very expensive and you can run strands at various heights to keep out different animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by