1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coyotes took all my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pullet2hen, Dec 22, 2008.

1. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    Im just so so sad. I can't snap out of it. All the rain we had caused a delay on the coop. I thought they would be fine, 6ft brick wall and then 6ft chain link fence turns out not to be safe from stupid coyotes. I have been crying for days. I do have 23 of their eggs that have been sitting on the kitchen counter for up to two weeks. Do you think if I put them in a bator they have a chance? I would sure love to have their off spring. DH says rain or shine he will finish the coop and area. I hate coyotes!

2. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    So sorry about your loss! I live in a rural, heavy-wooded area. I know we have coyotes here (in Indiana), I have seen them. My husband states that he has lived in this area for 20 years & has never seen one. I think my pack of dogs have kept the coyotes, raccoons, skunks away from our property. I am afraid that when my chicks come in (April 09!!) the coyotes & raccoons will start to show themselves! I am pretty sure that my dogs will get them, but I know I will have to have a highly protected coop & run set up prior to their arrival!! [​IMG]

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Oh, so Sorry!! [​IMG] We had foxes take our 8 birds this past march. I know how you feel!! [​IMG]

4. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Sorry for your loss-sure it was coyotes? Put the eggs in the bator...I'm sure most of them will be viable & you can take the few that aren't out after 10 days.

5. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    I'm so sorry! [​IMG]

I live in Prescott and had one try to get my girls the other morning. Our coop was taking a little longer than expected to complete we have now gone into overdrive to get it done.

How many did you have? There is a woman north of phoenix with pullets almost ready to lay . Mahonri sent me her info. I can send it to you if you would like.

6. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    Sorry about your birds. I lost one to an owl this morning as soon as I let them out it swooped down and grabbed her up right in front of me. I could not believe it (still can't) but now I know that they are around and very bold. It is sad to lose one I could not imagine losing them all at the same time.

7. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm not looking forward to the day I come home and find the same thing. :-(

Sarah

8. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    Thank you everyone for your messages. I know I can always come here to feel better and know Im not the only one. I miss my rooster so much. Cutting veggies for dinner last night I broke into tears because I had to throw away the scraps. [​IMG]
    It was quite a mess but doodledoo I know I would totally FREAK out if I was standing there and an owl swooped right in front of me and took one. Im sorry you had to see it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by