1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coyotes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickachickawhat, May 16, 2008.

1. chickachickawhat

chickachickawhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    last night i woke up around 1 am and heard yelping, yipping, barking and howling. of course they were coyotes first time i've seen them. well i didnt see them but i sure did hear them from about 1am to 3am. luckily they didnt get any chickens but i have a feeling they smelled them. what should i do?

do you think they will come back tonight?

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. joshchickens

joshchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2007
    The only thing you can do is wait and see....... we have a bad coyote problem where i live, so i installed a motion light. I havent lost a chicken yet and i think its because of the light. But i also have a .22 loaded with hollow points and that takes care of them too.

Hope this helped

3. chickachickawhat

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    there yelp is very scary ahaha. the problem is i dont have a .22 i have a bb gun and lots of airsoft guns and a powerful paintball gun. but im goin to get a solar power motion light thing. but is there anything i can do to scare them away if they come back tonight

4. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    i really know nothing about this but what about a radio playing all night???? It might keep them away.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My dogs keep them away.

6. chickachickawhat

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    maybe

7. joshchickens

joshchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2007
    Yea yell!! make a lot of commotion, that paintball gun would work great too!! There usually scared of humans and will run if you go out there.

8. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Save the money for the motion light and buy the gun. If you scare them away they'll just come back a different time. WILEY COYOTE! And if they get one chicken they'll keep coming back til they're gone.

9. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    My DH finally shot one that was getting my animals. I've lost many to them. I did go and buy some snares, to put on the spots they are coming under the fence. I am hoping to get rid of as many as I can as they are a big problem here. They do not like being shot at, and tend to stay away if they are harrassed enough.

10. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    night i woke up around 1 am and heard yelping, yipping, barking and howling. of course they were coyotes first time i've seen them. well i didnt see them but i sure did hear them from about 1am to 3am. luckily they didnt get any chickens but i have a feeling they smelled them. what should i do?

Oh, I've been there. I turned on all the outdoor lights and just stared outside at the coop for the longest time. Problem is the night you don't hear them will be the one you loose a chicken. I've have a decent fence around the coop and run - as far as coyotes are concerned. I have 2 dogs and my neighbors have 2 as well. I've been lucky, cause people loose their cats and dogs around here all the time.
    Good luck
    T​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by