coyotes

chickachickawhat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
hartford county ct
last night i woke up around 1 am and heard yelping, yipping, barking and howling. of course they were coyotes first time i've seen them. well i didnt see them but i sure did hear them from about 1am to 3am. luckily they didnt get any chickens but i have a feeling they smelled them. what should i do?

do you think they will come back tonight?

Last edited:
The only thing you can do is wait and see....... we have a bad coyote problem where i live, so i installed a motion light. I havent lost a chicken yet and i think its because of the light. But i also have a .22 loaded with hollow points and that takes care of them too.

Hope this helped

there yelp is very scary ahaha. the problem is i dont have a .22 i have a bb gun and lots of airsoft guns and a powerful paintball gun. but im goin to get a solar power motion light thing. but is there anything i can do to scare them away if they come back tonight

Yea yell!! make a lot of commotion, that paintball gun would work great too!! There usually scared of humans and will run if you go out there.

Save the money for the motion light and buy the gun. If you scare them away they'll just come back a different time. WILEY COYOTE! And if they get one chicken they'll keep coming back til they're gone.

My DH finally shot one that was getting my animals. I've lost many to them. I did go and buy some snares, to put on the spots they are coming under the fence. I am hoping to get rid of as many as I can as they are a big problem here. They do not like being shot at, and tend to stay away if they are harrassed enough.

night i woke up around 1 am and heard yelping, yipping, barking and howling. of course they were coyotes first time i've seen them. well i didnt see them but i sure did hear them from about 1am to 3am. luckily they didnt get any chickens but i have a feeling they smelled them. what should i do?

Oh, I've been there. I turned on all the outdoor lights and just stared outside at the coop for the longest time. Problem is the night you don't hear them will be the one you loose a chicken. I've have a decent fence around the coop and run - as far as coyotes are concerned. I have 2 dogs and my neighbors have 2 as well. I've been lucky, cause people loose their cats and dogs around here all the time.
Good luck
T​

Back
Top Bottom