1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coyoties

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tarheelmama7914, Sep 7, 2010.

1. tarheelmama7914

tarheelmama7914 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    i think I heard coyoties in the woods tonight. I just added new ducks and hens after dark and I heard the most wild howling ever and the dogs around were all barking. I know they were around 2 yrs ago but not sure about last year. Any I deas to know how far they are from our home? because it sounded like they were right at the back of our property.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    If they sounded like they were in your backyard, then they probably were. I hope you have secure night time housing.

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Quote:[​IMG] If you can hear the coyotes then they are close enough to eat your birds. Lock em up tight!

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    There are a lot of post in this section on coyotes if you're looking for information. Basically if they are around they may find your birds and once they find this food source they will utilize it. Your best bet is to make sure your birds are secure both day and night. Chances are if the coyotes leave them alone now they will in the future and will prevent any others that might from coming into their territory. BTW, you're hearing them now because this summer's pups are learning to hunt and mama and papa are keeping in touch with them.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  5. tarheelmama7914

tarheelmama7914 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    so what about my dog? we keep her on a chain when we leave... she's a husky, so is she in danger or would they leave her alone. I was scared last night because I heard them while in the coop. would they hurt me????

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks aprophet... you sent this to me also and I was going to post it to here as well.

7. hiker125

hiker125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Henryville
    I can't speak for NC, but here in Southern IN, the coyotes have interbred with abandoned dogs and are rapidly losing all fear of humans.

I live in town, but with lots of fields and woods across the road. I see coyotes in our neighbor trying to get into the trash cans. I have even stepped on the porch and yelled at them. They just look rather non-chalant and keep rummaging. If I didn't live in town, I would certainly shoot them (I have young kids)

Up until this AM, I felt comfortable leaving my good sized dogs in the back yard at night. It has a 6 foot solid privacy fence. I never made this a regular habit, but sometimes they didn't want to come in when I was ready to go to bed.

However, a neighbor's dog ( a mid-size mutt) was bitten in the back yard last night by something. No one is 100% sure that it was a coyote, but I am not taking any chances. [​IMG]

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Not true about the dog part, most coyotes are pure bred or coyote/wolf crosses--the coydog is a thing of the past, if it ever really existed. However, they are losing fear of humans because of people either feeding them directly or allowing them to feed on outdoor dog food, garbage, etc. Under this thread,https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=393828&p=6 I posted the NYS DEC information in regard to coyote/human/dog encounters. Basically it says not to show fear and run from them as you'd be acting like prey and that large dogs, especially a husky, should not have a problem with them except, possibly, in the spring when a pair is denning. The best bet is to stand up to them, they are basically cowards unless extremely hungry, protecting young or sick.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Our coyotes come through our back yard. I stopped composting because I was worried for my children.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by