Coyoyes during the day?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Coralietg, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Coralietg

Coralietg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    I heard the chickens sounding the alarm this morning. They do it several times a day for no apparent reason, so I was pretty shocked when I came outside and there was a coyote 15 feet away from me.

I didn't realise they hunted during the day? Will he/she come back? Luckily the chickens weren't in the back so none were caught.

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Yes, Coyotes hunt both day and night. They are very opportunistic.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I had a coyote snatch a hen right in front of me just 15 feet away at 10:30 am. Our urban coyotes are especially brazen. After our first coyote attack, they came back nearly every day for a couple months. We only let the chickens out of the run in the afternoon now, which seems to have reduced coyote visitation somewhat.

4. Coralietg

Coralietg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    This happened around 10am. I can definitely try keeping them in until afternoon. We have 100 acres of open field behind us before the nearest wood, that's where he hightailed it right to.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have a coyote here that tries to get chicken at all different times of the day, he is not on a schedule, i have been watching this yote sense 2009 there were 2 but my neighbor killed the male when he saw him crossing his field early one spring morning
    I have seen a pair of eastern coyotes a few time during the daytime playing and one tried for a chicken but we were there and he got no chicken.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: All Canines will hunt whenever they are hungry, or an opportunity arises

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] Yep and so will other wild critters.

8. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    Our family are trappers. There is a trap for coyotes that has rubber pads on the jaws to help if domestic animals get caught. doesn't even crease their fur. They are expensive but they are worth it to get a coyote and to keep from getting your dog. I would look into it. I have them set all around my chicken pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by