CP quail with constant head feather loss

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Hanwombat, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Hanwombat

Hanwombat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Suffolk
    I have a CP male, he used to live outside in an aviary until i noticed he had a head injury, but he also has a eye deformity now, his left eye used to be fine but now its tiny and most likely blind in it.

Any who this was in the summer and hea lived inside since, but he always has feathers missing on his head, they never grow back, he has to have a light on 24/7 or he panics and he does jump but I have a soft blanket as his roof.

But he still gets a Scabbyhead and his head feathers begin to grow and then come out again.

Is he still doing that much damage jumping? But he is hitting his head on a soft blanket??

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like you are doing all you can for this quail. But light 24/7 is not good for mental or physical health. What type of light are you using at night? You might try using an infra red lamp at night for light as this color in the spectrum of light allows them to see, however it also allows for natural sleep at night as well. Maybe you could get away with a small night light near his cage. I have a cockateil that has the night frights as well and will panic in the dark. As long as his night light is on next to his cage, he can still see enough to keep him from panic, however he can still sleep.

If he does not see very well, he may be hitting his head on all sorts of things in his surroundings, hence the head feather loss. And the loss of sight maybe causing him stress and panic attacks. Try to keep him as calm as possible. Maybe add tree branches to his cage so that he feels safe and secure. Maybe other hidey places. Don't keep him too close to windows where he feels a hawk might try to fly inside and catch him. (this is what birds think. LOL) Keep him in a low traffic area of the house so that he is not easily frightened.

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I have a button quail who was almost picked to death by her brother and sister. She lost ALL the feathers on the top of her scalp. They never grew back (she is 3 1/2 years old now and this happened when she was 7 weeks). She has a scab that never fully healed and is permanently bald. She requires padding around her entire habitat or she breaks the scab open. I have her in an aquarium (I know people fret about this but it really is quite simple to keep clean) with a reptile screen on top. I used to have plain chicken wire as a lid but she kept boinking. The screen seemed to calm her down. She lives alone and has a makeshift nest that she goes in to feel more secure. If you give your quail a place to hide, could be anything as simple as a log or cardboard box, maybe it will feel more secure and you won't need the light.

4. Hanwombat

Jan 20, 2013
    Suffolk
    The light I use is a soft led lighting, thank you both for advice.

5. Hanwombat

Jan 20, 2013
    Suffolk
    He also lives on the floor in a large plastic box in my living room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by