CPQ with a piece broken off from lower beak

bhex

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2022
Hey everyone, I have a 3,5 year old CPQ male that I just noticed had got an injury in his lower jaw, it appears that it got broken off. There was still some fresh blood on it and a small piece was hanging off. I believe it somehow snapped off by the cage bars when he was flying around. I'm concerned about his prognosis, could this bit grow back? Will he be able to eat and drink? Should I try to even out the jaws by cutting the upper beak a little (maybe it would help him eat better)?

Please look at the attached photos of the case. It's not very bad, I don't think, but I've never been in a situation like this so all help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20221109_115041.jpg
    IMG_20221109_115041.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20221109_115047.jpg
    IMG_20221109_115047.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221109_115106.jpg
    IMG_20221109_115106.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 7
I also have Betadine if it should be cleaned, and Loxicom for pain if y'all think it's necessary.

I don't have quail, just chickens, but I don't think you need to worry. It's a small bit, it should grow back with time. The upper beak looks a bit over grown, so you might try to file that back a little, that will make it easier for him to eat. He's going to have trouble picking things up with that top beak being so much longer. You might also monitor his weight, make sure he's getting enough, and hand feed if necessary. For chickens making their feed into a mash by mixing in water can help them eat better til it grows out, so you might try that, and raising the dish up so it can scoop with the bottom beak, waterers also.

I don't have quail, just chickens, but I don't think you need to worry. It's a small bit, it should grow back with time. The upper beak looks a bit over grown, so you might try to file that back a little, that will make it easier for him to eat. He's going to have trouble picking things up with that top beak being so much longer. You might also monitor his weight, make sure he's getting enough, and hand feed if necessary. For chickens making their feed into a mash by mixing in water can help them eat better til it grows out, so you might try that, and raising the dish up so it can scoop with the bottom beak, waterers also.
Thank you for the expert advice! I did in fact cut his upper beak a little but making a mash that's easier to eat is a good idea. It's also good to hear a confirmation that it isn't serious. I will update if necessary. :)

Back
Top Bottom