Crab Apples as chicken treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gsim, Jan 28, 2011.

1. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I was recently given 6 gallons of frozen crab apples by a guy. [​IMG] He had saved them for making wine and was too discouraged after learning how much work it is.[​IMG] I took them and thawed a 1/2 gallon bag. My chooks seem to like them. Was wondering if anyone on here had ever tried them for chicken treats. [​IMG] Also am wondering if they are something to be given in moderation or is it safe to let them eat all they want? Am pretty sure deer would eat them and am certain goats would too.

Gerry
    [​IMG]

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I was giving my chickens windfall apples by the bushel this fall. They loved them. I don't see why it should be a problem.

3. soap&eggs

soap&eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    chickens love apples...i have an apple orchard..chickens peck at fallin' apples on ground. they get left over apple pie scraps...few yrs back hail damaged apple crop..i cooked damaged apples down a bit & fed to the cornish& butchering chickens..everyday..those were prob. our best tasting birds so far. horses,cows,goats,sheep,rabbits ,hogs all get & love apples, whole,peelings & core, or even cooked, frozen.

4. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    My Sumatra's would climb my crabapple tree and knock the apples off and eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by