Crab, oysters, clams.....??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sjmarshall87, Sep 17, 2011.

1. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    Now I know that the flock is able to eat crushed oyster shells but what about crab and clams? My parents do an awful lot of crabbing and clamming and end up with all these leftover shells.. If crushed can the flock eat those as well? And what is the take on Lobster shells? I don't even know what the benefits would be for any of that. And if so.. whats is the best method to crush these items?

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    You would probably have to make them into a meal by grinding them fine - maybe someone with the proper equipment would do it for you. I'm really not sure about clams and lobsters, but I would think they would work fine. People do sell crab meal. MW.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The clam shells would be OK, if crushed small enough. They can eat the clam guts, too, although I would heat process because there are so many worms and bacterias in wild seafood.

The crab shells would have to be ground super fine because crab shells break into jagged sharp pieces.

Also, shells would have to be washed extremely well so that there is no organic matter left on them to spoil.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by