"crabwalking" hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by justuschickens59, Aug 20, 2010.

1. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    I have a hen who is walking funny...almost like she is "crabwalking" or "duckwalking." She squats all the way down to the ground and walks. She is laying, eating, poo is fine, comb and wattles are bright red. NO other signs of anything weird or strange. When she decides to run, she stands up and runs normally.

Any ideas? THanks !

2. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Bizarre! Typically when people describe their hen as walking like a duck or penguin, I immediately think eggbound or internal layer....but if she's laying fine....hmmmm....

ETA: When did this start? Is there any limping associated with it that might suggest a leg injury or something?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Check her abdomen. It could be full of fluid/infection/egg yolk.

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Second to that last post- if she is swinging her legs out sideways when she walks- likely they are being pushed there by a distended abdomen. Fluid build up, tumors, or extreme obesity can do this. Feel her 'belly' and compare to some normal hens if you do not know what a normal hen belly feels like.

5. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    She actually did this same thing about a month ago for a day and then stopped until she started doing it again yesterday. There is no limping whatsoever. She is not swinging her legs out to the side at all. I felt her abdomen yesterday, but did not feel anything, but I will definitely go check again. I also felt her abdomen a month ago when she did this and didn't feel anything then.

Anything in particular or a certain way that I can "feel" her abdomen to see if anything is going on?

Oh, and her eggs are perfectly clean when she lays them.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    hmm- I am having trouble imagining a squatting hen walking unless the legs are moving out to the sides. I can't think how the legs would work that way- just like if I am squatting- can't move unless....

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Did she have any spinal injuries? Or some deformity? I had a friend whose chicken walked like a peguin and she lays just fine. Later they butchered her, found a deformed spine or had fractured it and healed over as a chick.

My first hunch would be egg bound.

8. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Before any over reaction think MOLTING?
    I have seen chickens walk sideways and in circles during a hard molt.
    Its a little odd but it happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by