1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CRACK! BAD CHICKEN

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mario49, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mario49

mario49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    why does my chicken keep poking holes in its eggs?
    every day for the past 3-4 days i have found 1 single hole in the top of my chicken egg WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?
    And can it be stoped

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Could be many reasons, who knows why they do stupied crazy things !! Just to make us mad !!! maybe she's bored, she could just be checking the egg out, she might want to eat it !!

Is she a new layer ? How long have you had her ?

I had a hen that was doing this during the summer, I put a few fake golf balls in the nest where she laid and she stoped doing it right away. Guess she got bored of not being able to put a hole in them. I would give it a try. Whatever you do try to break the habit fast, once a chicken starts eating there eggs it's hard to stop...

3. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    I had a hen drop the egg and it got a little peck sized hole in the end... could that be whats happening?

4. mario49

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    She is a new layer at 23 weeks she is a barred Rock
    they dont eat them they just poke the hole and leave it to me!

5. mario49

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    Quote:no because they are in laying boxes and unless she picked it up and slamed it it shudnt have broke!

6. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Sometimes they will peck a hole in the egg because there is a little calcium "pimple" on the egg shell. (I guess those are irresistible to certain birds.) They want to peck off the little spot!

Do your eggs have any bumps? That might be it.

[​IMG]

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Funny mine was a BR also, did the same thing.

8. mario49

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    Quote:Weel i heard they have "meat spots" o the egg and my eggs have those could that be:fl it?

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Make sure where she is laying is very soft. Sometimes they stand up to lay their eggs, if they drop on a hard surface, they will crack.

10. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a very timely question.
    Just today I gathered the eggs and hung out in the coup (how ridiculous is this, the chicken coup is warmer than my house when I first get there).
    The eggs were sitting on top of the nest box. My mischievious hen jumped up there and started pecking at the eggs.
    I shooed her away, but she kept coming back to peck at them. She finally managed to make two of the eggs fall to the floor and break. The other 13 hens were on those broken eggs like it was the best treat in the world.
    I quickly snatched those eggs up and threw them outside, but the hens kept working on the part of the egg that spilled out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by