1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

crack corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by IDIOT HUSBAND, Sep 14, 2009.

1. IDIOT HUSBAND

IDIOT HUSBAND Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Burgin, KY
    My RIR pullets are about 11 weeks old they are fully feathered and look healthy. My question is, When I was at the feed store I bought some crack corn to give to my girls from time to time. They love it is it that bad to give them that much? The rest of the time they eat grower/finisher, grit, and whatever else comes from the garden.

2. the 412 chicks

the 412 chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    fremont
    ya I get 535 pound of feed from a grainry and it has 300 pound of cracked corn in it so i dont see why a lil wont hurt them at all.

3. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

cracked corn is basically scratch for most part...like chicken candy [​IMG]

Yes they can have it and they will gorge if you let them lol

4. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    We feed whole corn along with Purina layer pellets.

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I feed quite a bit of cracked corn, along with free choice starter crumbles and all the free-ranging they can get [​IMG]

6. d73

d73 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Pine Island Florida
    I use whole corn as a treat. I've read that cracked grain of any type losses a lot of nutrition.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I think it's ok for a treat, but for their diet to be nutritionally balanced it should consist of 90 - 95% from the appropriate feed (starter / grower or layer).

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They do love corn and it won't hurt them a bit.... bit it is not as high in protein as they need, and of course has no vitamins and other nutrients added, as regular feed does. It is great for a treat, though.

9. Royal Blue

Royal Blue Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    Where my better half is
    Cracked corn is OK as a treat/scratch sometime, but you don't want to feed it all the time. As someone else here said.."IT IS CANDY" now, would you feed your children a bowl of MMs for every meal? They might like it, but it will stunt their growth. Chickens are the same when it comes to good food and water. Garbage in produces sickly birds.

10. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    i mix my own feed, i take a storage bin (walmart kind) add 1 50 pound bag of crumble, 30 pounds of cracked corn (and no it doesn't lose any nutients if whole or cracked) and a 20 pounds of milo in to the mix, they are also starting to get poly-vi-sol drops in there water every 3 days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by