Crack down the length of the egg.

Emslilflock

In the Brooder
May 21, 2016
I need a bit of advice. I set duck eggs (Mallards) under my broody and ended up with one viable egg so when the eggs reached 8 days I put chicken eggs under her and got rid of all the duck eggs that were not viable. Well today she gave up and jumped off, so I grabbed the eggs and put them in the incubator. The duck egg is supposed to hatch tomorrow. When I candled the duck egg there was a shadow in the air cell. Upon further observance there is a crack that run the entire length of the egg and kind of spiders on the small end. Is it ok to leave it in the incubator and see if it hatches or is it unlikely that it is good now?

If it's already internally pipped, it'll likely be fine. You might have a problem if there was still a long time left to go in incubation, but at this point you should be fine. Just keep an eye on it for shrink wrapping as the crack might cause it to dry out.

If it's already internally pipped, it'll likely be fine. You might have a problem if there was still a long time left to go in incubation, but at this point you should be fine. Just keep an eye on it for shrink wrapping as the crack might cause it to dry out.

Ok, thanks!

New question:
I just candled the chicken eggs and I think I know why the hen got up. All the air cells are moving around, and the contents slosh around. If you candle the small end of the egg most of them light up. Some still have veining but its very thin unlike the eggs I already have set in the incubator which are sue to hatch Sunday. Would this mean all the chicken eggs are dead? They are supposed to hatch Saturday. Why would an entire clutch have wobbly air cells and all die?

Back
Top Bottom