crack in an egg :\

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Birdcrazy, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    While my duck was getting off her nest yesterday I noticed an egg had a crack - the one she was standing on. It has a hairline crack running along the side, with a few others coming off it... the duck eggs have about a week left til they are due and I'm pretty sure the egg is alive. I put it right under her to prevent any further damaged when she got back on.. but I was wondering what to do?? If it breaks will it effect the other eggs and should I just leave it?
    Today I had another look and the crack has gotten bigger... will it last the final week or is it possible to tape the egg up a little bit just to avoid it breaking or will that be a bad idea? [​IMG]
    Thanks for any help, I don't want to be having to clean out a broken egg in the nest... [​IMG]

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I have read that people put melted wax on eggs, I've tried on several duck eggs that were cracked....I don't think I would leave it open as I suspect the crack would get bigger...You might want to try to borrow quickly and candle, if no life at this point, I'd probably discard. Best of luck! Nancy

3. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Oh thanks, I didn't think of wax - but I've heard of it being done. Its late now, but tomorrow morning I'll take the egg out and try to see if its alive and maybe try wax. I'm worrying the crack will get bigger... and most likely it will. Will the duckling have trouble hatching if there is wax - I'm not sure I'll be around when they start to hatch [​IMG]
    Thanks heaps for the response... I might take a picture of the egg tomorrow aswell

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    If the crack is expanding, there's a good chance the egg is rotten & about to explode... I would take it out and smell it really well. If it smells bad, throw it as far away as you can. Even if you've candled it recently, I would be cautious--it would be hard to save the rest of the eggs if that one explodes.

If it's still alive, then candle wax or fingernail polish will patch it up nicely. I've had eggs hatch with extensive damage to the shell. Good luck!

And no, if the duckling makes it to hatch time, the wax won't make it any harder. In fact, for some reason my dented eggs always hatch faster than those without damage--I guess the weaker shell structure makes it easier of the baby to get out.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    One thing I have noticed about eggs with cracks- is they can loose moisture faster then the other eggs in the nest. With only a week to go- if the baby is still alive- just keep a close eye on that one at hatching time - it is much more likely to need assistance because of the membrane being too dry.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes, they do lose moisture faster--that may explain why mine hatch faster, because the air cell is larger (in this humid area, it's a challenge getting the air cells to develop properly). The wax or nail polish is supposed to reduce that, but it doesn't completely eliminate it. Still, I haven't had any trouble with the membranes drying out--it's just that the air cell develops faster.

7. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I have read a few stories on here about duct tape, its good for everything. [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    how can you put hot wax on the egg won't it burn the contents or does it cool at contact? and thats duck tape KansasKid

9. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] it takes on a whole new meaning.
    I use the offbrand duct tape around here, cheaper.

10. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Bees wax seems to be one of the best choices. It does not stop the duckling from hatching, since it will just crack away. Bees wax also has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties, which makes it even better. In general I toss a cracked egg, but in your case it is so close to hatching and alive. So give it a try and hope for the best. Just watch it like a hawk and remove it if it starts to ooze. Nothing worse then a bacterial infested eggs exploding and contaminating the rest of the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by