crack in beak...please advise!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lowry075, Jun 23, 2011.

1. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Hi, Buffy is my 11 month old BO. I noticed today that her upper beak has a crack in it, due probably, to her cross beak and the pressure it takes from her pecking. If it falls off, will she be okay? Is there something a vet can do?

[​IMG]

She is my baby, i am so worried about her. What if it hurts? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I very much doubt there would be anything a vet would do that you could not accomplish yourself by trimming the beak as best you can to provide maximum functionality.

Best to grind/sand it to shape as clipping it is likely to crack it more.

Sad to say that cross beaks tend to get worse with time, but if you can stay on top of it to give the best alignment possible to prevent cracking as well giving some extra easy to eat foods then that is about the best I can think of.

3. neVar

neVar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Dundurn, Sask
    Dremels work GREAT for trimming beaks- just take a swipe pause swipe pause so it Doesn't heat up. This is what we do for cracks near the end on parrots. (If it's higher up i have crazy glued it to help support it until it grows in before LOL)

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

yes beaks grow, I have parrots that's beaks will crack off if they don't ware it down. the place your chicken beak is cracked at will grow back. [​IMG]

5. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I too agree with the Dremel tool to keep the beak in shape. And beaks do grow.

6. lowry075

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I have heard of trimming with a Dremel before, but I am afraid she will be terrified. [​IMG] The crack looks like it is closer to breaking off today. I think if I leave it, it will chip off. Should I trim the side by the crack with a Dremel before this occurs? If so, how should I minimize trauma to her?

7. lowry075

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Anyone? I need a seasoned beak trimmer here. It's cracking off more.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by