Cracked beak cure????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peachesbabychick, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone. My Buff Orp Poppy, has a cracked beak. I think she was pecking at some ice and that's how she got it. Is there any way to help it heal? Her beak is completly intact and everything. I was thinking there might be an ointment or somrthing I could put on it?

Thanks!

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    can you get us a good clear picture of the area?

3. Peachesbabychick

Sure I will try to get one today. I'm not aloud to go outside right now because it is pouring.

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:Usually if it's not cracked too badly it will heal without you having to treat it in any way. If you search this site for "cracked beak" you will find some good information. Can you describe how bad the crack is?

5. Peachesbabychick

Oh well thats good news! The crack is about 1 and a half centimeters long. It doesn't look very deep either....... Poppy doesn't let me look at it very easily! But like I said I will be able to get a pic this afternoon.

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

clean it really well and then I'd put some type of bonding agent on the outside, I've had to superglue a cracked beak before, have two people. one holding the hen wrapped in a towel under one arm, the other arm holding her head. person #2 hold the beak open, pinch beak firmly with thumb and forefinger, to hold her still and keep her beak open. Then just use a q-tip to apply a tiny dab, and make sure your holding her mouth open for a minute for the glue to dry. then you shouldn't have to worry about it.

if its only a small crack on the corner of the beak, no blood etc then just take a finger nail clipper and clip the edges of the beak off, usually the 'dead' bit of beak is a lighter color than the rest of the beak it (like our fingernails - ends are dead the rest is tender and can bleed when nicked) and file the edges a bit with a nail file or dremel tool. this will take the edged end off the crack, and make it unlikely the crack will get any worse. it should heal just fine with no issues.

8. Peachesbabychick

Thankyou all very much for your wonderful help and info! I will try to have the pics by this afternoon. It is pouring right now though so it might be awhile......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by