Cracked Beak on rooster!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Oak Farm, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Oak Farm

Oak Farm New Egg

Oct 18, 2012
    I caught my game rooster to put him up for the night and he had a crack on his beak but there was no blood and it didn't look deep. I was wondering if it will heal back and if I can still show him in the spring. I put some peroxide on the top of the beak and he isn't in pain. He eats and drinks fine. Need some help fast thank you.

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Can you take a picture of it? Do you let him go outside at least a few times a week? My first thought is he might not be getting enough sunlight. That was happening to my birds last year because I was keeping them inside too much. If that is the case let them out when you can. I was recommended to give them this broiler vitamin mix thing to help with the deficiency. The beak will eventually heal. Their beaks constantly grow so eventually it will be gone.[​IMG]

3. Oak Farm

Oak Farm New Egg

Oct 18, 2012
    I let them free range for 3 day on 4 ak. farm at a time and then I catch them and let out the next group of 5. He got plenty of sunlight but I think he got in a fight or may have been attacked by a next door neighbor dog. I will put pics on tomorrow morning. I hope it heals up.

4. FenikT

FenikT Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    Pls upload some pics.

If its only a minor crack (not outwardly affecting feeding or drinking), then its best to leave it alone.

If the crack is more severe, appears deep or possibly allows dirt/debris into the inner beak structure, you may want to consider packing the cavity with Orabase (only if you can find the one WITHOUT benzocaine) or Medihoney Hydrocolloid wound fill paste and applying an acrylic patch on the cracked area. Just Google acrylic patch kit.

Of note, these patches cure and harden w/in a couple minutes and are exothermic (give off heat) when the components are initially mixed. Work fast, be cognizant of some initial discomfort from the heat, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by