Cracked Beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tikkijane, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Now, don't y'all go laughin' too much at me. [​IMG]

My 6 week old Dominiquer has a cracked beak. I have no idea what happened. Yesterday it was just a chip out of the corner; now it's totally square and jagged. I know some birds have them deliberately cut off (shudder) but I would rather mine have their intact.

Normally, I would leave it completely alone. Since it's worse today than it was yesterday, I am wondering about the long term. I know it should grow back, but is there something I can do to prevent it from getting worse? Can I take a nail file to it, for example, and smooth the jags? I'm wondering if the jag is catching on something and making it worse.

Thanks!
    Tikki [​IMG]

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    bump

3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    This may sound silly, but to save a fingernail that is breaking, you can take nail polish, put on a layer, while it is still wet, add a small piece (just enough to cover the nail or in this case beak) of toilet paper or tissue, then add another layer of nail polish. It reinforces and protects while the nail grows out. I don't see why it wouldn't work for a beak if you could get her to let you do it. Or maybe super glue? That might be less toxic as it is even used to glue cuts together on people.

4. Quote:I filed it this morning to smooth the edges. We'll see if that has helped. If there is more cracking today, I will definitely try this before they go to sleep to let it really set. I think she appreciated it being a little smoother. [​IMG]

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by