Cracked claw/talon, bleeding. Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MichiganWoods, Dec 4, 2008.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I think this little guy (or girl... there's barely any comb at week 4-5) managed to scrape its way up my little single-chicken pen in the coop while I was out there giving them red worms for the first time. That was amusing! But then I came in and checked out the photos and saw this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blood. Should I be concerned? I already have red lights in the coop - that's the only color light they have at night, but during the day they get natural daylight through the windows.

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Do you have anything on hand to stop the bleeding? Bleeding from broken toenails can be a nasty business, and hard to stop. If you keep a powder for this, I'd use it. Otherwise try a bit of pressure until you are sure the bleeding is stopped.

. . . or you could try the old farm trick of using cobwebs to staunch the bleeding.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

3. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Is this a common occurrence? If so I'd better stock up on medical supplies...

I'm thinking. No sort of powders... I try hard to keep my cobwebs gone (not a big fan of spiders). Guess I'll be out in the coop for a while holding the birdie. Don't know how it will deal with that. I typically go in there and hang out with them, but don't try and pick them up. I let them walk over to me and stand on my boots and all that, but sudden movements scare the crud out of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by