cracked corn and mix grains

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bdp7150, Dec 21, 2008.

1. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    question , i have been feeding my girls cracked corn and mix grains (not both at same time i mix up every other day)every day for a treat and possible heat . but they also get free feeding at all time there medicated feed ( these birds are not laying yet - 9 weeks old) does any one see a problem with this plan ? the med feed still gets eating good i have to fill up 12 lb feeder every 2 days . what do you think?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

9 wks old is a little early to expect any laying activity! [​IMG] You might want to start expecting that a little later on...anywhere from 4-6 months, but usually closer to 6 months.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I think your plan is just fine. Just be sure you aren't giving them TOO much corn and grains because they will eat that instead of their feed and won't get the nutrition they need. I have 12 chickens and I give them a couple handfuls in the morning and again at night. Just enough for a little snack.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Don't forget the grit . . .

Steve

5. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Same here...they get a cup of scratch (cracked corn, milo, wheat and BOSS) in the morning and one in the afternoon....not to mention they get kale and yogurt a couple of times a week. I threw in a little bit of cooked trout (caught too many to eat last week) a few days ago and they loved it! [​IMG]

6. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:laying not the question 9 weeks come on they got to be older now,question was on feeding issue.thanks

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

gotcha! [​IMG]

8. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Sounds like they are eating enough of the regular food to keep them healthy and growing. As long as the ratio of the corn/grain treats vs regular grower feed, is not to high they should be fine.

Once they are at the age (18-22 weeks) to start laying you should ensure they have just a small amount of those treats, or the needed protein level in their diet may be offset.

9. Brown Egg Project

Brown Egg Project Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I give a large cup of scratch for 16 chickens about 30 minutes before they go up on the roost in the evening and on cold days like today I give a cup in the morning as well. I have never given medicated feed to my chickens due to the lack of need. If you do not have biological threats or minimize them you do not need the medicated feed. [​IMG]

10. beautifulbirds

beautifulbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't give medicated anything! Or the packeted mash or pellets. I feed mine FOOD [​IMG] Like lettuce, bread, tuna, milk. They get a cooked stew twice a week; I feed it cold on hot days and hot on cold days. They have free choice grain and corn, grit, always fresh water and of course oyster grit in their pens and they free range and get the rest of what I haven't given them. I have never used the packeted food because my feeling is that there can't be much REAL NUTRITION in it; I mean how would you look if you'd been in a bag or tin for over a year, not too healthy I suspect.[​IMG]
    My wee chickie babes start off straight away on whatever Mum gets and the only exception I make is that I will grind up some corn and give that to them. I question the validity of feeding birds on the bagged food because they wouldn't get that in the wild, and of course they wouldn't get lettuce or tuna either, but they would free range on a variety of greens and eat from whatever meat (protein) carcass they came across. Anyway, that's what I do, hope it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by