Cracked corn for 3 month old chicks. Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MDchicks2547, Nov 27, 2013.

1. MDchicks2547

MDchicks2547 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    My husband was wondering if the chicks can have cracked corn. They are 3 months old.

Kind of a random question but is it possible for chickens to choke on whole grapes? I always cut them in half when I give them some. It's their favorite.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Cracked corn is okay but not as the sole diet. As for grapes choking chickens, I guess if the chick is small enough and the grape is large enough-maybe. But most of the time chickens will sling it about until it is edible.

3. MDchicks2547

MDchicks2547 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    It wouldn't be their sole diet. Just something to throw in their run as a treat with their grapes and bread.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Sure, our 3mth silkies actually get whole but make sure they have grit but otherwise ours manage fine, grape i find chickens peck, i've never had one attempt a whole swallow, personally mine never took to them, yogurt is the #1 fave here could get you killed lol

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Make sure they have access to some grit for digestion and you're good to go.

Chickens really don't choke on things. Their beaks are designed to tear things apart to swallow, although I've seen a hen swallow a whole mouse and have no problems. I think grapes are fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by