1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Cracked Corn to Bobwhites?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Birdman18, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone gives some cracked corn to their bobwhite quails for the winter or if its ok to give them some. I know I fed cracked corn to my pheasants for the winter as its contains some fat or energy for the birds to make it through the winter.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Absolutely! Keeps them warm. I up the seeds that I give my Bobs in the winter, adding sunflower chips to corn, even chicken scratch as they love the red milo seeds. So, go for it! [​IMG]

3. keckels

keckels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    I was wondering this too, I had some scratch mixed with my Reds crumbles this evening.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  4. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Quote:Thanks twocrowsranch!! [​IMG]

Next time I stop by the pet store or feed store I'll get some cracked corn. And maybe get some sunflower and other seed for the Quails.
    Hey if it does keep them warm, I'm sure its worth it and they would like them.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Cracked Corn Is The Quickest Way To Make Quail Much More People Friendly..... That Is So Long As The Corn Holds Out.... They Doooo Love It Sooo [​IMG]

6. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Black Oil Sunflower Seeds are another great winter food for them

7. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I actually read somewhere that " Whole corn is good to give during the winter. It will help warm the fowl on the cold days and night. Its not the corn it self but the grinding motion of the gizzard that is creating energy, energy creates heat."

I didn't know that the grinding of the gizzard is what creates heat, that's quite interesting. So should I get whole corn instead of cracked corn since it will allow more heat to be made? I really didn't want to get whole corn because it may be too big for the Bobwhites to eat.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    They will not be able to eat whole corn. So get the cracked corn. Even some of the cracked corn is too big for them to eat. [​IMG]

9. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We are talking about Quail here, usually whole corn is given to large animals like Horses, Cows, Deer, Goats, Hogs even then they have a hard time digesting it all the way, [​IMG]

10. Covey Rise Plantation

Covey Rise Plantation Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    Camilla
    Quote:Even Half grown Bobs can eat whole corn, no problems at all..U should watch them eat whole lizzards and bugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by