cracked corn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FamilyOfChickens, Jul 8, 2007.

1. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    We feed our chickens Dumor feed from the local TSC, but we heard some people talking about how they just give their chickens cracked corn. Since it's less expensive, we wanted to ask about it. Does it have enough calcium for the laying hens, if we mix oyster shell with it? Is it worth it? Any negative effects?
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Too much carbohydrate, too little protein, only about 8%. Just corn is a totally inadequate diet. They actually could get too fat, which causes eggbinding, plus white birds tend to turn brassy/yellow on corn. It's like giving them candy all the time.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  3. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I dont really know what Dumor feed is.. but you cant, or shouldnt, feed cracked corn exclusively.. its doesnt have any of what laying hens need.. I even add half layer feed and half corn for my rooster. I only use corn as a treat, in moderation, for my hens.. Someone else may have a different idea but I personally would strongly discourage a corn only diet for laying hens..

4. FamilyOfChickens

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Okay, thanks for clearing that up. Personally I would rather stick with the poultry anyways, but since it's cheaper around here, my dad wanted me to look into it. [​IMG]

Thanks a lot.

5. speckledhen

I thought I'd come back and show you the effects of an all corn diet. I bought my rooster Hawkeye at 10 months old from a kid who only fed him corn. Here is what he looked like when I got him, then after one month of a truly adequate diet-see what I mean?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. FamilyOfChickens

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Wow, quite a difference! [​IMG]

And he's a pretty guy, too.

(As for dust-bathing, our GSL's love it! =] The Ameracaunas do it sometime, but not very often. Yet. [​IMG] )

7. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Oh Speckled Hen that roos is so pretty.. I love that deep chest.. is it a barred rocks??

8. speckledhen

Thank you. Yes, he's a Barred Plymouth Rock, now a year and a half old and a wonderful flock rooster. He does have a very massive build, unlike most you see these days and he's a sweetie, too. His comb and one wattle were damaged by a turkey he was penned with when I bought/rescued him, so my friend says he has an "Art Deco" comb, LOL. Here he is at a later date:
    [​IMG]

9. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I was going to post this as a separate question, but since you're discussing fatties I'll jump in here.

How do you tell when a chicken is fat?

10. speckledhen

LOL, I really have no idea. Mine freerange most of every day and I only shake the can and throw out a little scratch to call them back home from all over the property. Most freeranging birds dont get fat, so I've never had a fat chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by