Cracked Corn?

ddcoyne

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Covington
How old should my chicks be before we start giving them cracked corn? And how long do I feed them this chick feed we've been buying? My chicks are around 7-8 weeks old now and have been outside for about a week.

Why will you be feeding them cracked corn? They do not need corn, it is just sugar.
I feed my chicks chick feed until I move them outside, and then move them to developer.

I just figured I'd like to give it to them because they'd enjoy it. Just like I give them the dried meal worms. I just want to make sure they are old enough to eat & digest it.

as a treat once a day in small quantities-sure-they are fine now if they are outside with grit and such-not as a full time feed-always use the feed first then treats later never substitute

Yes, they are outside full time and have as much grit as they can handle. They've got access to dirt, rocks & sand.

I don't mean to be a pain, but why not give them some green vegetables as a treat or something that they enjoy but also has nutritional value.

I think because it's the treat of all treats.

Like giving a kid candy on those rare occasions.

Zero nutritional value, but the smile on the child's face: Priceless!

wink.png

Corn is not "just sugar" and it does have nutritional value. It is not a complete ration for chickens, or people for that matter, but there is nothing wrong with corn as a part of a balanced diet for fowl or people.

Back
Top Bottom