Cracked Corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by M.sue, Jun 23, 2011.

1. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I've been giving my chicken cracked corn for a treat. I've also read a lot that states not to give it to them during warm heated days, that it's best to give it in the fall/winter months. So I take it the same goes for scratch since a lot of prepackaged contains corn. Do I mix my own scratch for them minus the corn? [​IMG] Is there a specific brand (recommend) I can pick up at a feed/supply store? They free range every evening and receive safe, nutritious, protein rich treats every other day. Any suggestions are welcome. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    It's OK to give them cracked corn or scratch at any time of the year.

Just keep in mind their protein intake. If they are free ranging they're probably getting enough that you can throw the corn down liberally. If they are confined and getting a feed that only has the usual 15-16% protein that most layer feed contains then don't give them more than about half a handful per bird per day so as not to lower their protein intake which in turn will lower egg production.

3. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    So what about the posts (old ones found searching the site)? They said that corn heats up the chickens body temp....that's why it's not good to give on hot days. Best for cold days. My grandpa use to feed it to his all year with other grains. When I was little I was notorious for going into the granary and grabbing a scoop for my friends. Is it the digestive process that heats the body temp?

4. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    A.T. Hagan :

It's OK to give them cracked corn or scratch at any time of the year.

Just keep in mind their protein intake. If they are free ranging they're probably getting enough that you can throw the corn down liberally. If they are confined and getting a feed that only has the usual 15-16% protein that most layer feed contains then don't give them more than about half a handful per bird per day so as not to lower their protein intake which in turn will lower egg production.

OP the above is good information.
    As for corn increasing body temperature - how much? starting from what body temperature? if a chicken eats nothing but corn will it melt?
    Digestion of any sort of food stuff increases chicken body temperature across a wide band that is considered "normal".
    Corn is a a very good source of two important amino acids in its low crude protein level. It is probably the best common source of carbohydrates we have.​

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    M.sue post 1 :

I've been giving my chicken cracked corn for a treat. I've also read a lot that states not to give it to them during warm heated days, that it's best to give it in the fall/winter months.

Feeding corn will not raise there body temperature.

So what about the posts (old ones found searching the site)? They said that corn heats up the chickens body temp

I would advise not paying attentions to there posts they most likely were misinformed and or don't know any better.

Both A.T. Hagan and Neil Grassbaugh gave you some good information to go on.

Chris​

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  6. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Thank You everyone!! Your knowledge and chicken sense is so helpful I really appreciate it!![​IMG]

7. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    I can tell you mine get cracked corn..

8. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I've seen no telling how many folks opine that corn will "heat a chicken up" and then somebody comes along and says it ain't so.

Is it not possible that feeding your birds corn will encourage them to eat more than they would if they just had their standard formulated feed?

If I feed mine some scratch late in the day they gobble it right down and I do think that they end up consuming more calories and have a fuller crop before they roost than they would if I didn't feed it.

I don't know, do know that some old wives tales have a kernel (pun intended) of truth in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by