Cracked Corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CatsCrazyCoop, Jul 29, 2011.

1. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Ok, so I admit - I get a bit over zealous at times [​IMG]

I bought a 50lb bag of cracked corn for my girls when I first got them... having no clue what to do with it or when - but I figured I was AT tractor supply so I might as well get some stuff.

My girls are FINALLY in their run -- and I was wondering if I could kind of just throw the cracked corn all over and let them enjoy...or if it should go in a feeder?
    They are about 8 weeks old...

Thanks!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You have to be a bit careful about the amount. They like it sooooooo much, they tend to become spoiled in a hurry. They'd prefer to eat the cracked corn, many times, to their dietary loss. Every ounce they eat of the corn leaves an ounce less room to be eating what they should; their feed #1 and greens/bugs, etc.

It's fine to throw down A HANDFUL once in a while, but you've really got to be diligent about not doing so very often. You can really "throw them off their feed" as the old saying comes from. The moral of the story is that it would take 8 hens a year to eat that bag of corn properly. You'll have plenty to put in the wild bird feeder next winter or sprinkle on the ground at the deer blind, if your state allow you to do that.

3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Fred's Hens :

You have to be a bit careful about the amount. They like it sooooooo much, they tend to become spoiled in a hurry. They'd prefer to eat the cracked corn, many times, to their dietary loss. Every ounce they eat of the corn leaves an ounce less room to be eating what they should; their feed #1 and greens/bugs, etc.

It's fine to throw down A HANDFUL once in a while, but you've really got to be diligent about not doing so very often. You can really "throw them off their feed" as the old saying comes from. The moral of the story is that it would take 8 hens a year to eat that bag of corn properly. You'll have plenty to put in the wild bird feeder next winter or sprinkle on the ground at the deer blind, if your state allow you to do that.

x2 Maybe there are others who live near by that have chickens that would like to share that bag of corn.​

4. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Deer eat the cracked corn? I would be happy to feed them and wild birds instead.

I have wasted money on worse... I would prefer sharing with the wild, in that case.

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I feed scratch (includes corn) everyday in the afternoon. That way they have eaten their pellets in the morning. I probably throw way more than the handful advocated here, but haven't had any problems in 18 years. They get 18-20% protein in their feed. They lay well all year round. I think the scratch amount is supposed to be what they can clean up in 10 minutes, etc. Just make sure you don't water down their protein too much.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Scratch also contains other nice grains besides corn, such as oats, milo, wheat, etc. But like corn, scratch is only 8% protein, about half the protein required for good laying. Thus, if half their diet was scratch or corn, the effect would be a reduction in protein similar to feeding a 12% protein feed on average. To say nothing of the loss of calcium, amino acids and other nutrients.

It's all edible, in small portions. Once such things constitute too large a percentage of their total dietary intake is when my concerns kick in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by