Cracked Corn?

SouthernBYChickens

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Alabama
Just a quick question: I feed my 9 weeks old chick starter, some spaghetti noodles, grass, and some yogurt. Is it okay for them to go ahead and start eating cracked corn on occasion?? Thanks in advance.
roll.png

Yes they can have cracked corn for a treat- just keep treats at a minimum when they are still so young so they gain weight properly.

Make sure they have access to sharp grit either free ranging or supplied from the feed store when giving treats such as grass (anything that is not ground up/starter). Keep grass clippings short (2-3 inches long max) to prevent impacted crop.

I feed mine cracked corn quite often, especially when they go into moult or otherwise stop or slow down in egg laying (mid Winter,etc). Though I generally mix it with something if I can. I do freerange and feed loots of food scraps, so their protein content is higher. I also feed this as the sole source in the hardest parts of winter (good for warmth).

But yes, cracked corn is good. Protein level isnt high enough to be the sole source, but corn is still a staple food for chickens. Obviously a layer or grower ration is better.

But, I did get about five 55-gallon barrels ful of cracked corn for free, so I may be biased (and desperate to get rid of it). :)

I feed mine cracked corn quite often, especially when they go into moult or otherwise stop or slow down in egg laying (mid Winter,etc). Though I generally mix it with something if I can. I do freerange and feed loots of food scraps, so their protein content is higher. I also feed this as the sole source in the hardest parts of winter (good for warmth).
But yes, cracked corn is good. Protein level isnt high enough to be the sole source, but corn is still a staple food for chickens. Obviously a layer or grower ration is better.
But, I did get about five 55-gallon barrels ful of cracked corn for free, so I may be biased (and desperate to get rid of it).
smile.png

Just curious - (unless it is classified information) - how in the world did you end up getting that much for free???

Two ways....

1. A neighboring farmer dropped a bunch of it on the ground during harvest. As it was mixed with gravel, he couldn't use it.
2. My kids and I gleaned another neighbors field, and got a little overzealous.

I took it to another friend who ground it all up for me.

Two ways....

1. A neighboring farmer dropped a bunch of it on the ground during harvest. As it was mixed with gravel, he couldn't use it.
2. My kids and I gleaned another neighbors field, and got a little overzealous.

I took it to another friend who ground it all up for me.

So did y'all just walk around picking up the leftover ears that still had kernels on them? Also, how long will dried corn like that last? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom