cracked corn

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jossanne, Sep 12, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've never given my chickens cracked corn before. We used scratch with our last flock, but haven't because of the mix of ages in the henhouse. I was given a 40 pound sack of corn this morning for my chickens, and I don't know if it's okay to start feeding it yet. I've got birds out there 24 weeks old, 12 weeks old and 8 weeks old, all mixed in the same coop. Is it ok for the youngsters to have cracked corn, or should I not supplement much while they're still eating grower rations? I keep layer pellets and grower feed out free choice 24/7.

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Giving layer to 8 week olds is a much bigger problem than giving them coren.
    The layer has way too much calcium and can harm young bird's kidneys.
    A little bit of corn won't hurt them. They'll enjoy ot & you'll enjoy watching them scramble for it.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just use the corn as a treat just like scratch. Our scratch here is mostly corn.

4. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I realize the layer feed isn't ideal for the babies, but I spend a lot of time in the henhouse, and all I see them eat is the grower feed. I'm a chicken nerd and it's my favorite activity to go sit on the floor of the henhouse and let them walk all over me [​IMG] They all prefer the grower feed, though I do see the 5 big birds eating the pellets. I think because the layer feed is pelleted, it isn't as attractive to the little birds. I don't see any other solution, as all 35 birds live in the same coop, and I don't have anywhere else to keep them.

Thanks for the advice on the corn. I gave them some a few minutes ago, and it was a hit.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  5. Recon

Recon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    I read somewhere that corn has a lot of calories which can help them stay warm in winter. So I usually give my birds a little extra corn in the colder months. I'd save it till then if I were you.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  6. HaleMoa

HaleMoa Out Of The Brooder

you could use a hanging feeder to suspend the layer feed at a height that only your layer hens can reach and your 8-weekers can dream to attain that height someday soon.

7. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    you could use a hanging feeder to suspend the layer feed at a height that only your layer hens can reach

That is another excellent idea!​

8. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    That is a good idea. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by