Cracked egg advice?

oolyboolu

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
Vancouver Island, Canada
On day 7 while candling my chicken eggs, my grip slipped and i dropped the one i was holding! Only an inch or two but enough to crack the shell. I quickly patched him up with melted candle wax ( read it somewhere??) and put it back in the incubator with my fingers crossed.
Now tonight (day 12) ive candled again and the lil guy is alive and wiggling all over . My questions are, what steps should i take further on towards lockdown and hatching? Just leave be?
Also ive noticed his airsac is pretty lopsided on one side, is that from the fall? Will it be alright?
20171212_190307.jpg
20171212_190315.jpg

I've used the candle wax before and the chick hatched perfectly fine - it was under a broody bantam hen. The first broody got replaced as she was not being careful or gentle! Good luck!

I would be concerned nail polish maybe "toxic" with it's ingredients but then again you're not using much, double coat sounds good. Wonder how putting a paper tape over a crack, then soother with Elmers Glue ... Just wondering

seems like nail polish did the trick, if the embryo was older I might worry about the "odor" but being it is not even one day old I will not worry about it. I will keep an eye out so it doesn't get "germy".

Back
Top Bottom