Cracked egg but no chick

Anna Mouro

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
Went out to my coop today where I have a broody hen (buff orpington) sitting on twelve eggs.(sitting for about three weeks) One of the eggs was cracked open but with no mess and no chick. I am confused because it is about time for a few of them to hatch. Do you think my broody hen ate her chick right after it hatched? Help!
sad.png

Is it like a half shell or is it all busted up? If it looks like its cracked in half, it probably hatched and is hiding under mom ( :fl ). Did you peek under her? Listen for peeping?

Sadly it can and does happen sometimes. If there are other chickens in the coop where she's brooding they may have taken the chick too. Did you do a thorough search of the hen and the nest box for the little one? I've been caught out by chicks disappearing in the past, only to find them tucked under their mom's wing where I couldn't see them. Hopefully that is the case here.

It is cracked in half but I already peeked under her and didn't see any chick. She is by herself.
hmm.png

Is it possible the chick may be hiding somewhere else in the area where the momma is? I have never done this before.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
It may be and if that is the case you will need to find it soon. Chicks can get chilled quickly, especially newly hatched chicks. Hope you find the little one and keep an eye on the hen and any other chickens in the coop when any more eggs hatch. Just in case.

Back
Top Bottom