Cracked egg.....can I still incubate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Chickeneer, Jan 23, 2012.

1. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Ok, so I ordered 12 eggs and they all came intact and good except one. The egg is only slightly cracked, you can hardly tell but there is a bit of dried egg white that ozzed out of it and is stuck to the shell. Now normally I would put it in anyways because I have nothing to lose right, I mean after all I payed for it, and even if it's a dud it wont hurt anybody? Well I did some searching on the forum and found out that the cracked eggs are potetialy explosive. And so this could mess up my hatch[​IMG]I don't know what to do with the egg, I payed for it, so tossing it would almost feel like throwing away money, but then again, if I put it in the bator, it could explode and ruin the hatch......[​IMG] I really don't know about this one....if I decide not to incubate it, is it safe to eat? When the eggs came, they had a bit of poop on them, so as usual, I wipped it off with a paprer towel and hand sanitizer...........but I am seriously not sure what to do with it. Any advice? Experiences? Thanks in advance[​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if its got egg white on the outside of the egg then just toss it it is a dud sorry not safe to eat eaither maybe feed it to an animal

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  3. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    I would not take the chance of trying to incubate it. Bacteria can form and cause more of the eggs to not hatch.

4. The Chickeneer

[​IMG]K, I kinda knew in the back of my head I was going to throw it away anyways......................can I feed it to the dog?

serious question don't laugh at me lol [​IMG]. I want to use the egg somehow.....

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    dont see why you couldnt feed it the dog as they tend to eat worse things than cooked egg (ex getting into the trash or finding some dead animal to naw on [​IMG])

6. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    cook the broken eggs they are safe for dogs !!!

7. The Chickeneer

Ok every body thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by