cracked egg- chipped down to the membrane :/

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chele61636, Oct 10, 2012.

1. chele61636

chele61636 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2012
    I'm talking about cockatiel eggs but I'm pretty sure they are all the same. I took them out the other day to candle them and two of them had cracks on them- dents- bad cracks- not hairline. It worried me. One wouldn't move I wasn't sure if it was alive or not. THe other was moving just fine. Today I looked again and they both seem to be moving- one less than the other. Could these cracks cause deformities? It's been at least a week since the cracks happen and they are still growing so I think they will live, I'm just worried something will be wrong with them. Their due dates are the 18 through the.... 25ish (OMGosh that seems so close!) I've seen the nailpolish idea and the papertowel idea but I'm scared the chemicals will get into the egg and harm the babies. I don't want to do that.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I hear birthday candle wax works well. It melts at a lower temperature than ordinary wax. Good luck!

3. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    When I bought my quail eggs a couple of months ago, there were some with bad cracks that I sealed with warm wax just to see if they would hatch. They didn't...but you might get lucky

4. chele61636

chele61636 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2012
    :eek: maybe I should try that... I dunno we'll see. lol I'm scared to do anything!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by