Cracked Egg! (fertile)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 6Happiness, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 6Happiness

6Happiness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I was just candling the eggs and one of them dropped - not far- it just is slightly dented in on the end with a spider-web design of cracking around the spot. Nothing leaked out. But I am worried if I put it back under the hen it will completely break under her -haha- immense weight (bantam, but still...)

Should I leave it AS IS and move it into the incubator?

Can/Should I strengthen it with something (i have no idea what--- clear nail polish? Or will that get inside the egg and kill the chick?) (I have to manually turn them in the incubator, so I'm concerned I might still damage it by accident if it can't be strengthened)

Or is the chick in this egg not able to be saved?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    How far along is the egg? You can always try using candle wax to seal it. I have used this method successfully in the past. I would also put it in the bator, not the hen. You want to be able to candle that sucker often because if bacteria gets in that eggs it's going to turn it into a stink bomb LOL!
    Good luck!

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree with the candlewax. Did that with a quail egg that was cracked when it arrived and it hatched!

AC

4. 6Happiness

6Happiness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Candlewax, great idea! Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by