1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Cracked egg piped at pointy end..help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newbaker89, Mar 18, 2015.

1. newbaker89

newbaker89 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2015
    Mississippi
    I have a batch of 19 that were "due" yesterday. I confirmed life before lockdown in this bunch. One of them was slightly cracked but over time the cracks seems to "heal" in a way. It just so happens this is my first egg that's pipped. However, I'm pretty sure it's doing it on the wrong end. I hear it and lots of movement. Could the crack accident have made the air cell a bit irregular? I see an external pip on the pointy end. I've been rooting for this one the whole time. The egg in mention is the light colored one at top center of photo. The pip is on pointed underside. [​IMG]

2. CountryMousette

CountryMousette Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    Ive had 3 pip in the past 24hrs and all three piped wrong spot and Ive had to assit hatch all three. 2 are out and doing awesome, #3 is back in the bator wrapped in a damp towel because its not fully ready. I had to assist because my humidty dropped and vaporlocked them so its been emergency hatching since 5am. Im exhausted. I hope you have better luck!!!!

3. newbaker89

Mar 18, 2015
    Mississippi
    My humidity dropped to 58% so I added some water through the vent hole to avoid opening the incubator. I didn't even open it and the temp dropped. How in the world would I know it's been vapor locked?

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Ok, when you click on the pic to make it larger it's hard to tell what end is more pointed...lol I am assuming the "bottom" (pointed end) of the egg is the end closest to the darker egg?

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    When you add water, unless you warm it first it will drop the temp a bit. I wouldn't worry about the temp at this point unless it's a real big drop. It'll come back up when the water warms up. If the membrane stays nice and white and papery, you're ok. If it starts to turn yellowish/brown and look leathery then you are facing possible shrink wrapping. If you can't see the pip whole, then you won't know. However, if your humidity stays up and you aren't opening it, the possibility of that happening (unless your air cells were too big at lockdown) is very low.

6. CountryMousette

CountryMousette Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    Amylynn is great for help! take all her advice, she got me through the past 24hrs. I now have 3 breathing chirping chicks. As for "How you'll know" if the baby is shrink wrapped, it boils down to the controversial "To open the incubator and assist, or not to open"

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Thanks, I try.

8. newbaker89

Mar 18, 2015
    Mississippi
    It makes me nervous but I'm going to leave them alone and give them some time. After reading advice given here and other places, I don't think we are in trouble just yet. I do have another question though: if I hear them chirping this confirms they've hit air somewhere right? That seems logical to me but may not be correct.

9. Roost-e-Boy

Roost-e-Boy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2014
    Michigan
    If they pip on the wrong end they can drown(suffocate) and die.
    I had one this morning die because it was on the wrong end and I was not able to get to it on time :(
    (very sad, even when its just a chicken!).

I would assist it as soon as possible ...Only if the time is right.
    Very carefully and slowly (with clean hands, clean tool, etc.) near the same area where it's beak is positioned, gently break open a tiny bit more just enough to drain any liquids/etc.., and so that it can get fresh air right away, then wait and let it break away the rest by itself.
    It can still be saved(slightly preemie, but it can still be alright).

..otherwise, I suppose you can just let nature take it's course, :( though sadly.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

When the chick pips the shell, it pierces the outer membrane. Air leaks into the crack in the shell and the chick begins to move more. This allows the chick to zip and as it moves to absorb the blood in the veins of the inner membrane.
    If the chick is shrink wrapped, it is the inner membrane which has dried too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by