cracked egg..question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bethandjoeync, Apr 15, 2009.

1. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    one of my girls laid an egg today and it is cracked on the end. she moves all of the straw and lays right on the wood then lays the egg and crack it goes. but, the membrane is not damaged, only the shell is damaged. here is a pic of it. is it okay to save and eat later. or should I cook it soon, or not at all? (btw we have no rooster, only hens so no chance of it being fertile)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm still alive and I eat those all of the time... some that have been in the fridge for a week!

3. bethandjoeync

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    thanks! I didn't think it would be bad, but I am still a newb to all this

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I beg to differ here, and think it's best not to keep any damaged eggs for human consumption. Bacteria in the nest is bresent, and able to enter any cracked egg. While the chance of any problem happening, may be slim...it's not worth the chance.

Eggs that are damaged, are boiled, or fryed and fed back to the flock for extra nutrition....leaving nothing goin to waste, and hens that will thank you for the great treat!

~ bigzio

5. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

agreed. I would definitely not take the risk of eating something with salmonella, or some other funky bacteria in it. Remember--there is a reason why drug companies brew vaccines in chicken eggs.

besides, sitting on the toilet for 24 hours straight is definitely no fun either.
    don't take the risk. feed it back to the chickens for sure.

6. bethandjoeync

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    well I'll boil 'er up and chunk it up in pieces for the girls, and they'll probably just about knock me down to get it. lol they love boiled eggs and the shell and all the good stuff.

7. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    definetly do not eat it, agree with frying it up and giving it back to the girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by