Cracked Egg still edible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1776, Jul 22, 2011.

1. 1776

1776 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Found my first egg in the nest today... i guess I didn't put enough wood shavings... anyways, the egg crack a little... is it still edible?

Wondering, because there might be some bacterial or ecoli viruses or anything that might seep through the crack...

thanks,

2. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Other people will tell you that it is fine because the inside has not been damaged. And while I can See their point, I choose to throw my cracked eggs out just to be on the safe side but then again I get over 20 eggs per day. so lets wait and see what other people say on this topic.

On another note, I haven't been really posting on BYC too much lately, so I wasn't around to welcome you to BYC, so welcome and I hope you are enjoying the forum.

Ema

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I will eat them - but not sell them. And, I make sure to eat them within 24 hours. Just my preference.

4. swmalone

swmalone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Northern Utah
    Personally I wouldn't eat a cracked egg. I know how hard it is to pass up that first egg, but just wait a day or two and you will be able to have an egg cooked however you would like it. I am wondering if the shell of your egg is kind of soft because my chickens dig in the nest box all the way to the wood and lay their eggs there and I haven't had one crack yet. You may try giving some oyster shell or something like that to see if helps harden up the egg shell.

5. mommas chickens

mommas chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    I know people that use those ones any way that just boil them but I always throw any of my cracked ones (my BO has laid a few out in the run and always while Im at work and they have hairline cracks in them) I just worry she always lays another one the next day so I just toss it now if the other girls would just start laying!!!

6. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I would eat it if I collected it the same day it was laid, and as long as it was just a crack and the membrane was intact.

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Oh, I've also smashed the cracked ones up with some oats and water before and given it to the chickens.. they love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by