Cracked egg still viable??

flockgirl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
ohio
I have a hen sitting on some eggs and when I went to candle them today I noticed one was cracked. There was nothing oozing out, I just saw white (membrane) Is this egg still okay since the membrane isn't punctured??

Do you have nailpolish?
Put some of it on the crack and it should seal. Ive never had an egg crack but ive heard of them doing this !

If you don't seal it up, the egg won't be able to hold moisture and bacteria will be a huge threat. Because it didn't puncture the inner membrane, there's a good chance the egg can be sealed and saved providing you act quickly. I've run across a few methods to seal a cracked egg, all having good results. You can use clear nail polish, as stated above. Non-toxic water soluble glue (such as Elmer's glue) has worked for many people, but you have to put multiple coats on the egg and that could take awhile. Let the glue dry completely in between coats. Wax is personally my favorite, and what I use.

If I use candles, I do not use scented candles. Birthday candles work fine, as do crayons. Melt the wax and let it drip over the crack. Simple as that. Whatever you choose to do, try not to cover the entire egg in it. Eggs are porous to allow oxygen through to the embryo, and you're covering a lot of those pores when you seal a crack.

Wishing you luck

Last edited:
Well the egg is now no good:( I went out this morning to put some clear nail polish on and there was nothing there but the shell and some dried up yolk. Looks like mama ate everything inside :/ I will remember all these good suggestions for sealing if this ever happens again though!! Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom