cracked egg under broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lifetime chicken lover, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    Hi!
    I have my first broody mama sitting on her eggs due to hatch the 28th. Mysteriously, 2 eggs disappeared last night (she had 16 and now there are 14). No egg shells or any evidence that they even existed. But that isn't my question, just kind of weird.
    One of the remaining 14 eggs has a cracked shell but the membrane is intact, when I picked it up something moved...so it's still alive. Will the mama kick it out? Should I remove it before it breaks open? Is it definitely not viable anymore? Any comments and thoughts on this are welcome. Thanks in advance! I love you all and the wonderful advice I get from BYC!!!

2. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    Update:
    Mama kicked the cracked egg out of the nest...poor little thing, fully developed little chick, dead.

3. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  4. SaraFL

SaraFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Aww, so close. Sorry about that.

5. mistakingdeer

mistakingdeer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    sorry about the cracked egg. I've had a broody roll eggs out of the nest. I think she can tell there bad and wont hatch. did you find out what happened to the other two disappearing eggs?

6. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    I just had a cracked egg under my silkie, took it out and put painters tape on it, candled it, still moving around in there and put it in incubator, hopefully will hatch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by