Cracked egg... What to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Aug 11, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I set my last button quail egg on monday (my male flew the coop friday) and I've only been able to get 3 good eggs out of my pair because the hen kept cracking them and since putting her with my soon to be week olds on monday, She has not layed anymore eggs... well I decided to candle the egg lastnight since its hard to tell whats going on in the egg later on in incubation for Quail... so I seen a heartbeat lastnight and veining thismorning but I also noticed a crack in the egg that I failed to notice on monday... Should I just go ahead and terminate the incubation or do I keep it going but watch it closely?
    TIA!!

2. a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?

a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    If theres signs of life, I'd keep it and watch closely to be sure it doesn't turn into

a rotton egg :) You can dip the erea with the crack in candle wax, or put duct tape

over the crack to ensure no bacteria makes it's way in the egg. Good luck!

HB

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You can cover the crack in wax. Melt the tip of a crayon or use a candle. Have had successful hatches from eggs sealed with wax.

4. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Thank you!! We have plenty of crayons around here! do I just heat the top and "draw" over the crack or do I let some drop on a plate and roll the crack into the melted wax? after almost 4 days of incubation, what are the chances of bacteria already being in the egg and losing the egg later on?

5. libertygirlz

libertygirlz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Wow!! Great idea w/the wax!! I have two of my 3 eggs set on 8/7 that were cracked when I candled them last night. I was going to discard and start over...

6. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    well heres what I have.. I labled it for my mom.. she was interested in how eggs start out.

[​IMG]

7. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You can dip into wax or heat the crayon and gentely draw across. You need only enough to hold the shell together. I would watch it closely going towards lockdown to be sure it doesn't go bad, but it is worth trying to hatch too.

8. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    I am a huge fan of the wax for cracks!! My girl Humpty Dumpty is living proof it works, I had actually dropped her egg and dented it in when the eggs was 12 days old. She is happy and healthy and a very good layer!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have used unscented wax, tape and liquid band aide and have had successful hatches of cracked eggs. Like you, I didn't notice the cracks until I candled and saw development.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by