Cracked egg! Will it make it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chelseajgoss, Oct 6, 2016.

1. chelseajgoss

chelseajgoss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey guys. I looked my incubator today and noticed a crack in one of my eggs. Im not sure how it happened. But i put clear nail polish all over the crack as soon as i found it. The egg is on day 3 of incubation. And i can see veining so i know there is a baby.
    Has anyone else had success hatching cracked eggs?
    And is this really as bad as im making it? :( should i add wax on yop of the polish or is that nkt going to do anything?[​IMG]
    Theres no shell removed or sticking out or anything. I figured i will let itnait until day 7 and see if it develops further. There was no oozing or anything.
    It looks like my little thermometer may of had something to do with it since thats all that was on top of the eggs. Just one of those light ones.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen many posts where people have said they were able to get an egg with a crack to hatch, so it definitely seems possible. I tried to seal a crack with nail polish once - I'd use canning wax instead now - and the egg didn't hatch, but neither did any of the other non-cracked (shipped) eggs. The crack doesn't seem terrible - no oozing or exposed membrane - and it does look like impact damage.

If it was my egg, I'd do what you're doing and hope for the best. With luck, it may just hatch!

3. chelseajgoss

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you! It actually looks like its continued to grow even in just a day. So hopefully it keeps going! Can i use wax from a non scented tea light candle? Or will that not give the same effect?

4. FoodFreedomNow

5. chelseajgoss

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ

Omg that was so helpful! Thank you!. I just put wax over the nail polish so its extra sealed!. Im worried it was too hot though. I hope it continues to grow, if not, **** happens and i did my best.

6. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    [​IMG]

I just got some shipped eggs and one has a crack, so I sealed it with some candle wax (.... all I had). I'm setting that bad-boy, even though I may end up removing it later...

7. FoodFreedomNow

You're welcome! I'm rooting for your egg and hope to hear good news about it in a couple of weeks!

8. FoodFreedomNow

Here's hoping you have a really good hatch! It would be really cool to hear that the cracked one hatched, too. [​IMG]

9. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I'd be happy if any of them hatched! LOL! [​IMG]

It would be cool.... I'm sort of hoping it does hatch, but after this last debacle, it's hard to believe I'll get anything [​IMG] Maybe it was "beginners luck."

10. chelseajgoss

Sep 18, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Okay just checked, as of right now, it has a heartbeat!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by