1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cracked egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jesusfreak101, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    my hen been sitting for four days abd one egg looks to have a tiny crack from a toe claw that wont hatch right?

2. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    If it indeed is cracked and not scratched then no, it will not. It's best to remove it if she hasn't already before the bacteria invade and make a smelly mess.

3. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    A cracked egg CAN hatch if the membrane has not been torn. I had a turkey egg that had a huge dimpled crack the side of a dime as well as trailing crack lines that spread out to about the size of a nickle (tractor ran over the nest). Anyway, since the egg wasn't leaking I took that to mean there was a chance the membrane was still intact and so I sealed the dimpled crack and all of the crack lines with a bit of melted wax from a left-over birthday candle. The egg not only made it through almost three weeks of incubation under a first time broody hen, but also hatched out a perfectly healthy and active turkey poult.

4. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Yes it can cover with clear nail polish or super glue and wait till tacky and rub dirt on it to fix the stickiness and smell. I have hatched cracked eggs before

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by