cracked egg

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
I got my first egg yesterday from my new hens. I would like to collect them and put them in the bator once I have enough, but this egg is cracked. Not sure what happened but it looks like a little pip in the airsac. Should I just toss it (I only have two hens (and of course a rooster) so it'll take awhile to collect enough eggs) or can I put something on it and will it still hatch?

Thanks in advance!

Mine did that when my hens started laying for a few weeks for some reason. I put more pine shavings in their nest box for cushion. Not sure if the shells are just thinner when they start laying and then get thicker becasue now that doesn't happen any more
idunno.gif

Last edited:
i have heard of people putting candle wax in the crack and the eggs still hatch, but i do not use those egg which have cracks in them for i would hate to go 21 days of work and get no chick. william

I wouldn't bother with the candle wax for eggs from my own chickens, I have only done it on shipped eggs, guess that goes with me trying to get my money's worth
lol.png

I wouldn't want the extra stress of keeping an eye on it if I could just go outside and collect more, JMO

If you have more eggs coming (with 2 hens) I would eat that one and wait for the next. I just accidently cracked one egg in the incubator after 17 days, so I dipped it in candle wax, but that was to make sure the thing stayed alive. I don't think I would waste time with my own chickens cracked eggs when I knew I could get more.

I saved some eggs for 14 days before putting in the incubator and they are forming fine. We will see who hatches on Saturday!

Back
Top Bottom