1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cracked Egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by annanicole18, May 4, 2009.

1. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    I wanted to see what it would look like to candle an egg and when i did i was surprised to find out one of my eggs is cracked! you cant see it when its off the candler so my question is will it hatch? today will be day 4 i know too early to candle but was turning eggs and couldn't resist since its my first hatch and needed to see if i need to modify my candler which i def. need to do. thanks for the help

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know the answer to your question but thank you for the post. This shows why it is important to candle eggs before you put them in the incubator or under a broody. You have probably saved some people future problems already today.

3. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    hate to do this but want to know if i need to pitch it before it smells so *bump*

4. DukeDawg528

DukeDawg528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    SouthEastern Kentucky
    I would pitch it becase it probably won't hatch...

5. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    I've never done it myself, but I've read that you can seal the crack with wax and there should be no problems with the development of the chick.

6. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I have sealed with wax, it should be un scentedif possible. I had one that Arrived to me cracked, I covered the cracks in wax, and it developed but never hatched. Then I had one that I accidentally cracked on day 11, I covered the cracks with wax, and hatched a healthy Chick. So wax is worth a try.

Here is the one that Hatched

[​IMG]

7. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I use tape to cover any cracked eggs and they all have hatched........

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I have several cracked eggs in my bator right now, the cracks patched with birthday candle wax. At least two are developing.

9. kbmead

kbmead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    Bainbridge Is., WA
    Superglue works! I have used it on cracked eggs a few days before they were ready to hatch, and the chicks came out fine. One had an underdeveloped eye, but she is fine and our favorite, tamest hen. I just put it gently over the cracks, and held it until the glue dried, then put back under the hen.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by