cracked egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosaline, Jan 3, 2010.

1. rosaline

rosaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    [​IMG] I had an accident with my eggs when I candled them. I have 6 Buff Orpington Bantem miniture eggs and I am on day 16. My thermometer sliped out of my hand when I was lifting it off the eggs to candle them. And as you have guessed the top part of my egg cracked. The top is missing. Im not sure if my eggs have any chicks growing or if they are just not fertile. I looked inside the egg. The membrain has not been pierced. But it did look as though in the air sack there was a yolk in there. It was yellow and it touched the membrain. I couldnt see any other dark colours in there. Not sure why it was in the air cell? I have tryed to receal the whole with clingfilm and hope I have not done to much damage.

[​IMG] Im just prying that it will be ok if there is a chick inside it. Has anyone had this happen to them? What was the out come?

2. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I've heard of people successfully sealing up a crack with wax and having good results. But a larger hole is much trickier.

Keep us updated on the results?

3. rosaline

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    Quote:Thanks I will. I put a little foil over the top. I hope that this will help keep in some heat as I know that it will excape now with a hole in the top. Fingers crossed [​IMG] . Im off to bed now so I will report back in the morning x

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

9 times out of 10, you probably wont be able to keep that one. If the membrane is exposed this early in the process, it will probably dry up and 'shrink wrap' the chick too early.

5. rosaline

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    Quote:Thankyou for your quick answer, I will keep a close eye on it x

6. rosaline

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    Quote:Update on cracked egg. It has been almost 24h since it happened. I think the air sack has gotten bigger. Tomorrow night I am going into lockdown so if the chick lives I will let you know.

7. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I'll keep my fingers crossed! [​IMG]

8. rosaline

Dec 14, 2009
    England
    Its day 21 in a few minutes. I removed the foil and replaced it with medical tape. It should let in the humidity and let the egg breath.......hopfully. no movement on any of the eggs so far and no noises. So im not very hopful at the moment but I will keep my fingers crossed [​IMG]

9. The YardFarmers

The YardFarmers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2009
    Ohio
    Good luck, you've done all that you could. How many all together are you hatching?

Julie

10. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by