Cracked Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stokesdalefunnyfarm, Aug 16, 2011.

1. stokesdalefunnyfarm

stokesdalefunnyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Stokesdale, NC
    As I do everyday, I go to see if my smallest Rock had laid her egg for the day as she has been carrying the weight of my other 9 hens that haven't started laying. Then to my suprise, I have 3 eggs in the box! YAY....one egg, which was the largest was cracked in several places. Is this a sign that there may be something wrong with one of my hens, or does it just happen sometimes?

Thanks!!!

jb

2. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Occasionally I get crushed eggs, cracked eggs, eggs with a little hole, etc. I don't see a pattern, just once in a while from a hen here and there. I feel it's just them not watching where they step, not enough bedding, or an egg gets rolled too hard.

3. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Mine just started laying a couple weeks ago and this morning there were two eggs in one nest box-one egg's shell was a little cracked and it seemed like the shell was somewhat thin. I'm assuming we shouldn't eat that egg-even though I know it was laid within two hours of me finding it? [​IMG]

I will be very excited the day I find three eggs in the nest box! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    When I find eggs like that I either eat them that day or I cook them for the dogs or chickens. Never hurt me [​IMG]

5. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    Quote:x2

6. stokesdalefunnyfarm

stokesdalefunnyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Stokesdale, NC
    Thank you all for your replies!! [​IMG]

7. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    The only cracked one I did not eat was one that was under the roost but it was cracked pretty good and next to a POO! So I cooked it and gave it back to the girls. The cracked one I found in the nest box I put in the fridge and ate it for breakfast the next day.

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Even though I have many boxes, one particular box can have up to 5 eggs in it! If one gets cracked, I usually cook it up for them or the dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by