Cracked Egg!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Annie G, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Annie G

Annie G Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Linden, TN
    Will a cracked egg hatch in an incubator?

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    It depends on how big the crack is and if the crack caused the inner membrane to rupture. If the crack went through the membrane, the answer is not. If its a small hairline crack, you can usually seal it using scotch tape or candle wax and the egg may hatch. I always keep a candle warmer with a candle on it when I'm incubating so I can quickly seal any accidents. The biggest concerns loss of moisture/fluid and introduction of germs. Sealing the crack asap is important.

3. Annie G

Nov 15, 2012
    Linden, TN
    Thank you! I am hatching eggs as we speak. I have 8 so far with several more coming. I put 14 in. But this egg was gathered today from my favorite chicken. It is her first egg but was cracked.

4. Annie G

Nov 15, 2012
    Linden, TN
    I have never had this issue before and am not familiar with using candle wax but assume you just drop some candle wax on the crack?

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    yes, just light the candle and allow the wax to drip over the crack. First eggs (known as pullet eggs) arent usually incubated because of their size and issues they can create for the chicks.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    x2 good luck with the hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by