1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cracked egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ECiesielczyk, Aug 17, 2013.

1. ECiesielczyk

ECiesielczyk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    So I have a broody hen who has been sitting on her eggs for 15 days now. Today when she got up for her daily poop/water run I went in and checked the eggs. One was out of the next, one had a small crack in it and the other two appear fine. Now she has been an awesome hatcher and broody mama in the past so I am not sure if she did it, another hen did it or what happened. She successfully hatched 9 earlier this summer so I know she is a good mama. Should I remove the cracked one? Should I not bother her/them and just see what happens? Her hatch day is Friday.

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    can you put the cracked one in incubator? If she sees the crack she may peck at it and if she likes the taste she may crack the others...

3. ECiesielczyk

Sep 10, 2012
    No incubator. The only good news is that the one that is cracked is the only one I am not 100% sure is fertilized.

4. ECiesielczyk

Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    yeah!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by