1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cracked Eggs 3rd Bator? Experiment

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by katrinag, Feb 19, 2009.

1. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thing of using the 3rd bator I have to set eggs that I go it the mail that have cracks.
    The 3rd bator will only be used for the crakced eggs. So I have nothing to lose right?
    Has anyone done this?

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Seal the cracks first, if they are not too bad. You can use clear nail varnish.

Run the incubator for the first 5 days or so at normal RH .... if the air space is developing too quickly, increase the humidity.

Candle at 7 days and you will get an idea if it is working or not.

3. katrinag

Thanks for the idea about clear nail polish. Never thought of that.

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:There are two problems with cracked eggs, not counting the rough handling they have already had.

The first is that they will lose weight much more rapidly than they should. That will reduce hatch rate unless you can manage it effectively. The second is that the crack is a perfect way in for infection.

Sealing them will mitigate, but not remove, both of those problems.

5. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I have also heard of sealing them with candle wax.

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Me too .... either should be fine.

7. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I would say you have nothing to lose by trying. It either works or it doesn't and at least you can try...it will be better than just throwing them away.

8. PamsPride

PamsPride Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    OHIO
    I had an egg-splosion in my 'bator this morning! One of my eggs had a little pin hole that I saw yesterday and stuff was coming out but it was hard so I thought maybe I just didn't clean the egg good enough. DH turned the eggs at 4AM and when I checked them at 10 AM it was a MESS!

9. katrinag

Pam,
    I already have 2 bators up and running with good eggs. I have the 3rd sitting here and the cracked eggs. So if they go bad and blow up I am not out anything. May a crabbing hubby and kids b/c of the smell. After day 3 will check for veining and see.
    With my luck 1/2 will hatch and they will be all roos.
    Thanks guys. I will set them here in a bit and see what happens.

10. katrinag

Well of the 8 eggs I set 2 are veining nicely. We will see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by