Cracked eggs during incubation

Mar 13, 2018
i just noticed two of my eggs are cracked! I’ve read a lot of threads about possible ways to seal the eggs, but I’d like some opinions to see if it’s worth it.

I think the membrane may have broken on the egg in the first picture. There seems to be some dried liquid along one of the hairline fractures.

6540F3E7-9CC4-4A01-9CBA-C6446774B8A3.jpeg
5E3E18E6-C8CF-4979-9A46-71FB8B551B13.jpeg

When did the cracks appear? Are they mid-incubation? If so, are they developing? I have successfully used athletic tape on cracks that occurred when I accidentally dropped them while candling - but they had been developing up to that point. I don't think I would put eggs that were initially cracked into the incubator. If there is any damage at all to the CAM, it may not develop, or have development issues.
Best of luck on your incubation and hatch!

They are on day 5 and the incubator was knocked yesterday and I think the two eggs hit each other. They both have veins and seem to be developing.

They are on day 5 and the incubator was knocked yesterday and I think the two eggs hit each other. They both have veins and seem to be developing.
If they were mine, I'd put a small amount of athletic tape on the cracks, making sure to leave the the air cell area free. The nice thing about athletic tape is that it's breathable. Others have had success with the invisible bandage liquid. I haven't tried that, but, as much as I hate to admit it, (I've dropped more than one - ugh) I've had several successful hatches with just plain old white athletic tape.

Back
Top Bottom