1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cracked eggs near hatch day and shell is popping off membrane....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mp5girl, Nov 13, 2014.

1. mp5girl

mp5girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    These eggs were injured during a psycho hen attack on the nest. The membrane is fully intact but these guys are literally popping the shell pieces off. Some of the siblings started hatching out today but I think tomorrow is closer to hatch day. Any ideas on these three? I can't see any movement now although one moved this morning and they are expanding more than the shell would have allowed. What should I do?

[​IMG]

2. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    If they survive, you will most likely have to assist them in hatching. Without the solidity of the shell to push against, they probably won't be able to move themselves around to break out. In the meantime, you should keep them warm and wrap a warm, damp cloth or towel over them to keep the membranes from drying out. Have they internally pipped yet? Can you hear peeping?

3. mp5girl

mp5girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    No peeps and no pips and no movement. Just what seems to be an increasingly large membrane continuing to pop the shell pieces off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by